Friday, April 10, 2009

Finding Shelter From the Storm

Tonight Dave and I had the pleasure of having dinner with some non-LDS friends of ours. We got to talking about some of the problems in the world today; the disintegration of the family, drugs, Godlessness, abortion, etc. It was so interesting that here was this great family (with 12 kids I might add) who are battling the exact same things we as Latter Day Saints are.

Just the other day my younger brothers lost a good friend to a Heroin overdose. This boy was trying to get high enough to "feel normal enough" to make the drive to California without having to stop to get high again along the way. WHAT?! Get high to feel normal enough to DRIVE?! I was shocked! My brothers laughed at how sheltered I am but really I didn't know! I always pictured people doing drugs at parties or in their bathrooms at home or something. I thought it was a rare few who actually drove that way. It totally freaks me out that I'm driving around with my babies in the car with those jerks out there. Oh, I'm totally ticked off about it!!!

And don't even get me started on the abortion thing. Let me just say that this week the reality of the world's state has burst the 'bubble' I've created for myself. But I can find comfort in the Savior and His Gospel. I know things are going to get worse before they get better, but like President Monson quoted in conference, "Men are that they might have joy."

Conference is always like a compass to me. It stops me in my routine and points back to the path I need to be on. Among the messages I received this time were to be happy and enjoy my life. To not be afraid. It struck me hard. Now that I'm experiencing a dose of reality, I am finding so much peace in the messages we heard last weekend.



My favorite quote this week came from a clip about the temple on YouTube.

"I don't know how to speak about heaven in the traditional, lovely, paradisaical beauty that we speak of heaven; I wouldn't know how to speak of heaven without my wife or my children. It would not be heaven for me." Elder Jeffrey R. Holland.

So sweet! That's exactly how I feel. I am so blessed to have a testimony and such a loving husband and great kids that give me a reason to hope. Not every day is heaven at our home, but there are glimpses of it. Sorry for the long post, I just needed to vent a little.

Happy Easter everyone!

2 comments:

Bryan and Deanna said...

Your suck a wonderful person. Keep you sheltered life. Its what makes you who you are.

Britanie said...

Love the post! The past month has been much the same for me. I have really felt so blessed to have the knowledge that we do as member of the LDS church. May we all find some shelter from this storm!